2650 - tg3 on 2.4.18-19.7.xsmp rh7.3 ... OOPS AGAIN

John P john at pmbbs.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 22 05:31:00 CST 2003

> I'd put an Intel/3Com card in and give up.  As long as
> Dell goes the cheap route on just about everything, they'll
> keep using garbage Broadcom network cards since they get
> them cheap on the ServerWorks-based motherboards.  Those
> are the most unreliable cards I've ever seen, and I must
> say they're the only card I've seen that is universally
> hated by unix and Windows admins at the company I work for.

What is Dell's official line on the compatibility of the 2650 servers and
Red Hat 8? We have two servers running this in a datacentre and have
experienced frequent crashes (with tg3, none since we switched to bcm5700).

If Dell say there is no problem, how do they explain these crashes?

If Dell say there is a problem, what are they doing to sort it out? I don't
fancy buying 4 new gigabit network cards if it's a problem caused by Dell's
choice of garbage network cards..

Cheers,
John