dell 600SC

JP Vossen vossenjp at netaxs.com
Tue Jan 21 10:38:00 CST 2003

On Tue, 21 Jan 2003 lars at levonline.com wrote:

> I'm thinking about buying a handfull of cheap low-end servers with the following
> specs:
>
> PowerEdge 600SC IDE
> ServerWorks GC-SL chipset
> 1,7 Celeron Processor
> 512MB ram
> Software or hardware IDE raid (haven't tested the IDE-hardware raid on this
> machines)
>
> I can't find theese machines under the Red Hat "Hardware Compatibility List"
> and I'm intrested know if theese machines do run Red Hat 7.0 and Red Hat 7.3
> without any big headaches or hangups? The usage will be running things such as
> snort, backup syslog machines and stuff like that that I want to separate from
> my main server farm without shelling out a lot of cash.

FWIW, RedHat 7.3 and 8.0 installed off downloaded ISO images onto my 500SC
just fine, including the CERC IDE RAID controller.  It all "just worked."  But
watch out for a clock drift issue (discussed in this list) that seems to
affect several Dell PE servers running Linux, including my 500SC.  Also, I am
not running any of the Dell management utilities that people seem to have
trouble with.

Later,
JP
JP Vossen, CISSP              |:::======|                jp at jpsdomain.org
"The software said it requires Windows 98 or better, so I installed
Linux..."