Allocate lots of memory => core dump

Wesley T. Perdue wes at greenfieldnetworks.com
Mon Jan 20 16:48:01 CST 2003

Marc,

We have had a number of individual processes crash when they try to allocate more than 3 GB of memory.  We're using dual Xeon systems with 4 GB RAM running Red Hat 7.3 and kernel version 2.4.9-21.1smp.

We knew our memory allocations would grow further, so we moved that application to a Sun Fire v480 with 16 GB RAM, since the app is only available on x86 Linux and Solaris.

Regards,
Wes