newbie: howto linux on a PE2650?

Christopher McCrory chrismcc at
Mon Jan 20 11:08:00 CST 2003

On Mon, 2003-01-20 at 06:45, darren wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have been reading this list for sometime now as I would like to switch
> one of my PE2650 to Linux.
> Ques:
> 1)	Will a Freshly installed RedHat7.3 work properly on a PE2650?

> 2)	Will a kernel upgrade of 2.4.19 or 2.4.20 over the RedHat7.3
> distro work?

> 3)	Are there any simple steps to get a basic RedHat 7.3 workign on
> a PE2650?

install CD ; follow menus ; reboot ; setup up2date ; run up2date
(include kernel update)

I got a batch of 2650s.  Moving the hard drives (with RH 7.2) from the
old 2550s into the 2650s "just worked".  New installs of RH 7.3 "just
worked".   setup and run up2date.  For me the tg3 ethernet drivers _do_
work and have been working for ~two weeks.  If you have problems with
the machine crashing, switch to the bcm7500 drivers ( edit in