Remote boot

'Harold van Oostrom' pedge at lanceerplaats.nl
Fri Jan 17 06:23:00 CST 2003

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 03:16:39AM -0800, James wrote:
> Supported Web Browser:
>
> Netscape 6.01 or later available here:
> ftp://ftp.netscape.com/pub/netscape6/english/6.01/unix/linux22/

Have you actually tried this ? Obviously not. It does not work.
See Matt's announce on Nov. 4th 2002.
http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2002-November/010239.html

You can even find this buried deep down on the Dell website:

http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/software/smdrac3/RAC/en/readme/111read.txt
 * The RAC Web-based interface is not accessible on systems running
   Linux with Netscape Navigator.

For a partial fix see:
http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2003-January/011190.html

> I do know Mozilla will not work.

True.
http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2002-November/010623.html
But Mozilla + j2sdk-1.4.1_01-fcs is still lightyears ahead of Netscape.
Forget about Netscape it's been dead for ages.

> Here is some good documentation as well:
> http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/software/svradmin/1.2.3/ug/remote.htm#using_rac

Now that you mention it, where is this mysterious version 1.2.3 of serveradmin ?
http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2002-December/010804.html
Also the OMSA docs fail to mention that it has a tendency to not work on tuesdays.
It's reliable Jim, but not as we know it.

Please read this list before contributing !
There's already a wealth of information there, not just about RAC issues ! ;-)
You can conveniently access the archives from here:
http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/
You can even download the full raw archive in mbox format.

Cheers,
Harold.