Remote boot

Harold van Oostrom pedge at lanceerplaats.nl
Thu Jan 16 18:29:01 CST 2003

On Fri, Jan 17, 2003 at 07:12:22AM +1000, jason andrade wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Jan 2003, Nadim Bitar wrote:
>
> > Is there a way to remotely turn on the computer. I am using Redhat 8.0
> > on a PE1650.
>
> IIRC the 1650 has an ERA (embedded remote administrator?) which you could
> use to remotely power up/down the machine.  This presupposes
>
> o you have power plugged into the box
>
> o you have configured the ERA and have serial (?) access to it.  i am not
>   sure if the 1650 ERA is serial console accessible or if it has its own
>   separate network interface but i'm sure someone else on the list can
>   confirm..

You'll find online pictures here:

http://docs.us.dell.com/docs/software/smdrac3/RAC/en/is/drac3c20.htm#197

I can confirm that the pictures of DRAC and ERA/O are accurate ;-)

The ERA listens on a configurable ip address that defaults to 192.168.0.120
It has its own OS (on an ARM processor) and is running these services:
ftp, telnet, http, vnc-http and vnc-http-1

The ftp and telnet servers are presumably used by developers.
If you type help when logged in via telnet you'll see a lot of commands.
If you don't know the password try the defaults root, calvin
Although probably I should warn you not to try this at home ;-)
It isn't of much use anyway because somehow Dell didn't enable
the most important ones: powerup, powerdown, graceshutdown etc.

port 80 is the RAC webserver which you can connect to from a particular
browser. But NOT from any browser that runs on linux. See

http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2003-January/011190.html

For a solution that will allow you to at least power-off and power-on your
system from any system that has Perl and some extra modules installed see:

http://lanceerplaats.nl/PowerEdge/RAC/

As for the other ports. If you choose Console Redirect, when connecting
from said unfree browser, an applet runs which in turn will start
vncviewer (the java version) which connects to port 5900.
Or to the port returned by the RAC's crsportget function to be precise.
That is by the way also why Console Redirection doesn't (readily) work
from behind a firewall as people on this list have reported.

I'm sure Console Redirection can be made to work under linux too.
In fact I contend that it should be particularly easy for Dell to do.
Why they didn't just enable the commands in the CLI is beyond me.
It would have saved me a week writing the Perl module.
But I'ld have missed the fun  too ;-)

If someone wants to try and make console redirection work under
Linux, I have a pretty good idea what would be needed but lack the
time currently. Feel free to contact me off list so as not to
bother the list with details.

Cheers,
Harold.