McDougall, Marshall (FSH) MarMcDouga at
Thu Jan 16 12:26:00 CST 2003

Whenever we see a blinking yellow light on our Dell boxes, it's because one
of the power supplies is not plugged in.  Hope it's that simple for you.

Regards, Marshall

-----Original Message-----
From: Simon MacMullen [mailto:s.macmullen at]
Sent: Thursday, January 16, 2003 7:02 AM
To: linux-poweredge at
Subject: SNMP

Hi. I'm someone who knows very little about SNMP, and just wants to find out
why the yellow warning light is blinking. Does there exist anywhere a simple
guide to getting started with OMSA?

I've managed to install it on my Debian 3.0-running PowerEdge 1650, using
the instructions at:
but I now have little idea what to do next. I've seen hints that I need to
edit /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf, but I'm not sure what I'm trying to achieve with
it. All I want is for the output of "snmptranslate -Tp" to show
Dell-specific information.

So is there an idiot's guide anywhere, or do I have to learn all about SNMP
first? (Did I mention that the yellow light is already blinking...)

Thanks, Simon

Linux-PowerEdge mailing list
Linux-PowerEdge at
Please read the FAQ at or search the list
archives at