SNMP

Simon MacMullen s.macmullen at ry.com
Thu Jan 16 07:02:00 CST 2003

Hi. I'm someone who knows very little about SNMP, and just wants to find out why the yellow warning light is blinking. Does there exist anywhere a simple guide to getting started with OMSA?

I've managed to install it on my Debian 3.0-running PowerEdge 1650, using the instructions at:
http://domsch.com/linux/openmanage-contrib/debian/debchanges.txt
but I now have little idea what to do next. I've seen hints that I need to edit /etc/snmp/snmpd.conf, but I'm not sure what I'm trying to achieve with it. All I want is for the output of "snmptranslate -Tp" to show Dell-specific information.

So is there an idiot's guide anywhere, or do I have to learn all about SNMP first? (Did I mention that the yellow light is already blinking...)

Thanks, Simon