Bios

Glen Turner glen.turner at aarnet.edu.au
Thu Jan 16 00:56:01 CST 2003

Nadeem Bitar wrote:
> How do you update the BIOS if you don't have a windows machine
> available. If I unzip the .exe file that i download, is there a way to
> create the boot disk to upgrade my BIOS without using Windows.

Some stuffing about I've done in the past in this situation
suggests that FreeDOS works fine (we don't have a Windows
license for any of our PowerEdge machines).

If you plan ahead, you can put a small partition at the
start of the hard disk to run FreeDOS and install a reboot
utility and Dell's flash files on the partition.  Configure
the bootloader to optionally boot from this partition.

So if you have a remote site you don't need to ask
anyone to insert a floppy and can drive the entire
process from the serial console.

--
  Glen Turner                (08) 8303 3936 or +61 8 8303 3936
  Australian Academic and Research Network   www.aarnet.edu.au