2650 - tg3 on 2.4.18-19.7.xsmp rh7.3

lars@levonline.com lars at levonline.com
Wed Jan 15 12:39:00 CST 2003

Hi,

I'm installing a dual Xenon 2650 and I've read a lot on the list about
the Broadcom gigabit ethernet and crashes.

This server will be used as an emergency replacement of an old nfs server
running on an 2500, and as such I can't afford any problems with the network
cards. I have an spare eepro100 card that I can use, but I would love to use
the gigabit interface since I have an gigabit port on the switch.

It will be running the following software
	Red Hat 7.3 with all errata patches
	Redhat kernel 2.4.18-19.7.xsmp

I/O usage will be high.

Will the tg3 module work, has anyone experienced crashes with this one under
7.3? Is there anything special I need to concider? I can't afford an crash due
to faulty drivers.

Is there any gain in using hyperthreading that seems to be enabled by default?
Should I disable it?

/Lars