SuSE 8.1, PE2550, aacraid, spontaneous reboots

Michael James michael.james at csiro.au
Tue Jan 14 17:40:00 CST 2003

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003 08:36 am, Patrick Torney wrote:

> I have 2 PE2550's running the exact same h/w config.
>
> PIII 1266Mhz w/512MB RAM
> Perc 3/di raid running 3x 36Gig drives. RAID 5
>
> SUSE 8.1 kernel 2.4.19
>   source: k_deflt-2.4.19-74.i586.rpm
>
> My quandry is similar to another article that I found
> on this list referring to a similar problem with a
> PE2650 box on the same aacraid driver. The
> instructions looked promissing. It said to upgrade to
> kernel k_smp-2.4.19-163.i586.rpm and later said to run
> 'rpm -Uvh k_smp.rpm'.

My problem wasn't spontaneous reboots,
 it was a 100% unavoidable hang loading aacraid on boot.

With only one processor your kernel will be k_deflt-2.4.19-xxx
 ie some version of the default 2.4.19 kernel.

cat /proc/version
  will tell you what type of kernel you are now running
  without telling you the vital version info.

If you booted from the 8.1 CD
 or haven't upgraded since building
 it will be k_deflt2.4.19-74

rpm -q k_deflt
 will tell you the currently installed version
 of the default kernel if you have one.  (I don't)

rpm -q k_smp	(ditto for SMP kernel)

rpm -q k_psmp		(if you're running vmware on an SMP machine)

Looking on ftp.suse.com, the latest kernel for a single cpu box is:

ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/update/8.1/rpm/src/k_deflt-2.4.19-174.src.rpm

The default kernel is up to build 174!

k_deflt conflicts with k_smp
 so stick to what YaST gave you in the first place.

To my surprise YOU doesn't seem to do kernels.  At all.

I had an installation that YOU reported as "No new patches"
 and querying rpm told me it was still stuck back with the old build.
The workstation I'm typing on is YOU patched to the eyeballs
 and it is still k_deflt-2.4.19-74

So to get a new kernel FTP in the rpm and install it on the command line.

I mean to have a look at the Suse kernel source package
 and see what versions of the drivers are in that kernel.

My 2 boxes have run stably for a couple of days now
 with k_smp2.4.19-163.

Tell me how you go,
michaelj

Michael James				michael.james at csiro.au
System Administrator			voice:	02 6246 5040
CSIRO Bioinformatics Facility	fax:		02 6246 5166