Maximum Memory available to Kernel

Marc Schmitt schmitt at inf.ethz.ch
Tue Jan 14 12:02:01 CST 2003

Hi Philip,

Philip_Olenick at dell.com wrote:
> Hi, I need to understand, using IA32 architecture (Dell PE platforms), what
> is the maximum amount of memory that the Linux Kernels can address?
> Per RH 7.3? RH8.0? Advanced Server 2.1?

Kernel 2.4.x docs say:
<---
Linux can use up to 64 Gigabytes of physical memory on x86 systems.
However, the address space of 32-bit x86 processors is only 4 Gigabytes
large. That means that, if you have a large amount of physical memory,
not all of it can be "permanently mapped" by the kernel. The physical
memory that's not permanently mapped is called "high memory".
--->

N.B. using more than 4 GB of memory in an IA32 machine gives you a
performance hit due to the additional mapping that has to be done.

> I have clients looking for Servers with 8GB memory support. I know, no issue
> with IA64 - but unfortunately, DELL have no current IA64 based Server
> available...

What happened to the PowerEdge 7150?

Regards,
	Marc