1650 power consumption.

jason andrade jason at rtfmconsult.com
Mon Jan 13 21:11:01 CST 2003

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Steve Mickeler wrote:

> Can anyone let me know the average current utilized by a dell 1650 with 2
> power supplies ?
>
> 2 x 275W power supplies = 550W
>
> 550W / 220V = 2.5 amps.
>
> 2.5 amps * 40 servers in a rack = 100 amps
>
> Im guessing (hoping too) that they dont suck 2.5 amps for 7*24
>
> Any info ?

you can get some information from the dell "rack adviser" utility
which you can find by searching through downloads on the dell support
site.

in reality i've found i can make an estimate of between 50-75% of
rated power for 24*7 operation, so it will probably need 50-75 amps.

but you would still need to budget for more than that for when you
are powering the systems up unless you have installed them with
a staggered powerup system.

regards,

-jason