esm module and ntp problem

Brian Smith BSmith at lyrix.com
Mon Jan 13 12:58:00 CST 2003

JP,

Very interesting. Did your backup take 2057 seconds to complete?  Is the
system really off by that amount of time or is the ntpd wrong?  Is 2057
seconds an even multiple of the number of seconds it took for the backup to
complete?  Something seems to be pausing the clock on the system.  Try
creating a script to echo the date/time to a log file during the backup
every 10 seconds or something.  Try to cat /proc/interrupts and see if the
clock interrupt slows down or stops (I can't imagine this occurring).

                    JP Vossen
                    <vossenjp at net        To:     Brian Smith <BSmith at lyrix.com>
                    axs.com>             cc:     Linux-Poweredge at dell.com
                                         Subject:     Re: esm module and ntp problem
                    01/13/03
                    12:17 PM

On Mon, 13 Jan 2003, Brian Smith wrote:

> If what you are referring to as "losing syncronization" is because you
see
> lines like the following in /var/log/messages:
>
> Jan 12 06:11:48 test1 ntpd[729]: time reset 0.165944 s
> Jan 12 06:11:48 test1 ntpd[729]: synchronisation lost

Nope, more like this, EVERY Monday, like--well--clockwork, as my local
backup
job is ending... :-(

Jan 13 07:00:49 drake ntpd[11379]: time correction of 2057 seconds exceeds
sanity limit (1000); set clock manually to the correct UTC time.

> If what you were referring to was something completely different, then
> please ignore this post.   :)

<ignore = on> :-)

Thanks anyway,
JP
JP Vossen, CISSP              |:::======|                jp at jpsdomain.org
"The software said it requires Windows 98 or better, so I installed
Linux..."