esm module and ntp problem

Brian Smith BSmith at lyrix.com
Mon Jan 13 11:09:01 CST 2003

If what you are referring to as "losing syncronization" is because you see
lines like the following in /var/log/messages:

Jan 12 06:11:48 test1 ntpd[729]: time reset 0.165944 s
Jan 12 06:11:48 test1 ntpd[729]: synchronisation lost
Jan 12 09:17:00 test1 ntpd[729]: time reset 0.203586 s
Jan 12 09:17:00 test1 ntpd[729]: synchronisation lost
Jan 12 11:28:54 test1 ntpd[729]: time reset -0.170965 s
Jan 12 11:28:54 test1 ntpd[729]: synchronisation lost

then I don't think you have to worry.  The NTP specifications define a
syncronization loss to be any time the ntpd has to reset the time by more
than 128 milliseconds.  Since PC-compatible clocks are notoriously bad at
keeping time, almost every ntpd time-sync operation results in the above
lines being printed to the /var/log/messages file.   At least that's how it
is on all of our systems here.

If what you were referring to was something completely different, then
please ignore this post.   :)

- Brian

                    JP Vossen
                    <vossenjp at netaxs.com        To:     Michael Redinger <Michael.Redinger at uibk.ac.at>
                    >                           cc:     Linux-Poweredge at dell.com
                    Sent by:                    Subject:     Re: esm module and ntp problem
                    linux-poweredge-admi
                    n at dell.com

                    01/10/03 09:19 PM

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Michael Redinger wrote:

the
> synchronization. 100% reproduceable for me.

I have a PE500SC and am NOT running the esm module, byt my ntp loses
synchronization every Monday morning just as my backup job is ending.  All
RH8
errata applied.  Search the list archives for details.  No joy so far... :
-(

Later,
JP
JP Vossen, CISSP              |:::======|                jp at jpsdomain.org
"The software said it requires Windows 98 or better, so I installed
Linux..."