esm module and ntp problem

fluke@gibson.mw.luc.edu fluke at gibson.mw.luc.edu
Sun Jan 12 14:13:15 CST 2003

Backups are usually done over TCP and NTP uses UDP.  A side effect of this
is that if you have a mismatch with the ethernet duplex configuration (NIC
set to full duplex on a half duplex hub, NIC set to half duplex on a full
duplex switch, etc) then the backups will error correct over the mismatch
at the cost of performance but NTP communication will not error correct at
all.  Hence, backups will just take a little longer than they should but
NTP syncs will stop entirely while the network utilization is
moderate-heavy.  When network utilization is low the duplex mismatch will
not cause as many lost packets and NTP will re-sync again.

Some administrators make the mistake that a switch does auto-negotiation
just because the NIC is able to auto-sense the speed.  Please keep in mind
that speed auto-detection does not mean that the duplex was
auto-negotiated.