tg3 Drivers kernel 2.4.18-10smp

jason andrade jason at rtfmconsult.com
Fri Jan 10 22:17:00 CST 2003

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Jared Saul wrote:

> Anyway,  the tg3 seem to work... more or less.  I have intermitten kernel freezes on a couple of machines and have noticed the Octet count doesn't report correctly along with some other  flakey behaviors that are tempting to atttribute to the network driver.

the consensus seems to be that the bcm5700 drivers have improved in later
errata kernels and seem to fix a number of stability issues.  but jeff
garzik from redhat has apparently fixed the tg3 lockup issues and has
issued some (unofficial?) patches which takes the tg3 driver to 1.2 or
1.2a.

so to summarize:

o the current (latest) tg3 drivers 1.2a seem to offer the best performance
  and stability

o but if you can't/won't run those then the bcm5700 (in later kernels) seems
  to be the driver of choice.

you should have modules for both bcm5700 and tg3 whatever the redhat kernel
you are using.

regards,

-jason