another holiday tg3 update

Ed Martin ed.martin at iop.org
Fri Jan 10 11:59:00 CST 2003

An update to my previous message of 3/1:

We've been running with the Experimental #2 / 127 kernel on a PE2650 for a week or two now with no problems.  The server is doing real work too, including some use of a 48G filesystem mounted over NFS.

Yours,

Ed

-----

A small amount of feedback that you may find helpful Jeff.

We used to see the hang problem without fail.  However since we moved to using a GB ethernet switch the situation seems much better. (i.e. kernels/drivers which would hang before don't any longer).  So please put these comments in that context.

I just got a new 2650 on which I've installed RHL v7.3 (via OM) and the results of trying these kernels was:

Official errata 2.4.18-19	Seems OK
Stable update 1.2a aka 125	Not tried
Experimental #1 aka 126	Won't boot
Experimental #2 aka 127	Seems OK
Experimental #3		Not tried

With 126 it hung twice during boot at different points - once starting cannaserver, once sendmail.  (Although it recognised alt-ctrl-delete to shutdown and reboot.)

I've only tried each kernel for a short time.  I'll leave exp2-127 running for a few days.  Though the box may not be doing much work during that time.

Yours,

Ed

---
Ed Martin
Head of Systems and Network Performance
IOP Publishing Ltd
Dirac House, Temple Back
Bristol  BS1 6BE
ddi: +44 (0)117 930 1102
www:  http://www.iop.org

>>> Jeff Garzik <jgarzik at redhat.com> 30/12/2002 17:49:58 >>>
Another holiday, another set of tg3 releases.

first, there is an official, production update of tg3, version 1.2a:
http://people.redhat.com/jgarzik/tg3/tg3-1.2a/
http://people.redhat.com/jgarzik/tg3/tg3-1.2a/rpms/

second, for people still having problems, there are three experimental
sets of rpms, to be tried in this order:
http://people.redhat.com/jgarzik/tg3/tg3-1.2a/exp1-rpms/
http://people.redhat.com/jgarzik/tg3/tg3-1.2a/exp2-rpms/
http://people.redhat.com/jgarzik/tg3/tg3-1.2a/exp3-rpms/

experiment #1 - better irq mask/unmask for better speed and stability
		(test this!)
experiment #2 - ultra-safe version of #1, with less experimental stuff
experiment #3 - the riskiest of the bunch, but potentially faster

I would prefer that everyone who can try experiment #1, and back down to
experiment #2 if that doesn't work.

There is more information on the files in this directory in
http://people.redhat.com/jgarzik/tg3/tg3-1.2a/version-notes.txt

Disclaimer:  These are unofficial rpms created by myself.  They are not
officially released by Red Hat, so do not use them in production, etc.

Institute of Physics
Registered charity No. 293851
76 Portland Place, London, W1B 1NT, England

IOP Publishing Limited
Registered in England under Registration No 467514.
Registered Office: Dirac House, Temple Back, Bristol BS1 6BE England

This e-mail message has been checked by MIMEsweeper using
F-Secure Anti-Virus for the presence of computer viruses.