troubleshooting PERC card

Joshua Daniel Franklin joshua at iocc.com
Thu Jan 9 17:20:01 CST 2003

We have a hosting customer that just got a used
PERC3/QC for a PowerEdge 1400SC--identical setup to one
described earlier here:

<http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2002-December/011067.html>

The PERC3/QC is not "supported" on the PE1400 series, but
I know it works since we have another one running.

Anyway, so I did the backup and then installed the PERC3/QC and
configured the drives. I opted to do a full consistency check since
these are also new drives and I didn't want suprises. I booted from
a RedHat SysAdmin Survival CD, partitioned and formated and restored
the tape. No problems so far.

Then I did a chroot and it got weird. My intention was to run mkinitrd
and reboot, but what I got was this:
/sbin/mkinitrd: sort: command not found
/sbin/mkinitrd: sort: command not found

Huh? /bin/sort was there, but file reported "data" (not ELF). Then
I did "rpm -q textutils" and got "Segmentation fault". A reboot did
not help. So, now I've put everything back (old HD, no PERC card)
and am wondering what to do. I don't have a spare system with
64-bit PCI to run diagnostics, so posting here was the next best thing
I could think of.

--
Joshua Daniel Franklin
Network Administrator