PE 1650 + Tape Drive devnull at
Thu Jan 9 15:56:01 CST 2003

Finally, we have gotten this working now.

I tried setting the RAID Card to "off" in the bios. This doesnt make them
"scsi". I spoke to the Dell Tech guys, upgraded the bios etc. Still no

I removed the PERC 3/Di card, reinstalled the OS with the 2 internal
drives as Software RAID.

I have the quantum hanging of the external scsi connector.

It all works and is doing nfs now(over udp)

Does anyone know how to get the nfs clients to check for tcp and then fall
back to udp ?

On Fri, 20 Dec 2002, jason andrade wrote:

> Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 10:05:14 +1000 (EST)
> From: jason andrade <jason at>
> To: devnull at
> Cc: linux-poweredge at
> Subject: Re: PE 1650 + Tape Drive
> On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 devnull at wrote:
> > We bought a new Quantum ATL M1500 tape library that i would like to hook
> > up to this machine. Can i do this via the PERC 3/Di.
> i don't believe so no.  AFAIK there is no "pass through" support for the
> the perc3/di under linux to attach tape drives while it is raid configured.
> > Would i need to "break" the RAID on the PERC 3/Di and make it SCSI via the
> > BIOS ? Are both the channels either "raid" or "scsi" at the same time, but
> > never both.
> that might work, but i still don't like your chances for success.   for attaching
> external tape devices Dell has always specified a separate (appropriate) scsi
> card.  it might be that you can use the external scsi port (which should be
> non raid, aic 7889 (?) to connect the drive but..
> one other thing - most tape libraries use HVD interfaces.  i would confirm
> that your device is indeed SE/LVD before you plug it into the 1650 scsi bus
> otherwise you risk damaging the scsi interface and/or your system.
> regards,
> -jason

devnull at