I cannot build smp kernel from kernel-2.4.18-19.7.x.src.rpm

Rechenberg, Andrew ARechenberg at shermanfinancialgroup.com
Thu Jan 9 11:27:00 CST 2003

You could download the kernel-source RPM and install it (if it's not
already) and build the kernel you want manually.  There is a configs
directory that has the standard Red Hat configs for a number of
architectures and configurations (SMP, bigmmem, etc).

Copy the config of your choice to /usr/src/linux-2.4/.config and then
patch with iANS (assuming it's a patch; it's been a while since I've
built the ians modules).  Then run your favorite kernel config option
(config, menuconfig, xconfig), and then your standard kernel makes (dep;
clean; bzImage; modules; modules_install), cp the kernel to /boot and
then edit /boot/grub/grub.conf to include the new kernel and reboot.

This is the manual process.  I'm not sure why RPM didn't build the smp
kernel.  You may want to check with Red Hat's Bugzilla to see if there's
a bug open.

Hope this helps,
Andy.