RedHat 8.0 on a PE 2550 (hang problem)

Cris Rhea crhea at mayo.edu
Thu Jan 9 10:11:01 CST 2003

I've got a pretty vanilla install of RedHat 8.0 on a 2550.

With the machine doing nothing (on the network, sitting at a login prompt), it will hang
randomly within a couple days to a week (max).

By "hang", I mean:

- Nothing on the screen
- Power light on, disk light flashes occasionally
- Nothing in the Linux logs (messages, syslog) (obviously, after the reboot)
- Nothing in the Dell hardware logs (except for power-up events)
- No reaction to keyboard
- Cannot ping/telnet from network

If I power off/on, machine boots normally.

My first round with Dell Support had diag failures that resulted a bunch of the machine
being replaced.

The hang still came back.

Second round with Dell Support replaced most of the hardware: both CPU's, the CPU VRM's,
motherboard, memory, memory VRM, RAID key, RAID memory, power supplies, power supply
harness (in short, everything except the disk drives, SCSI backplane, and the sheet metal).

The hang still came back.

Machine has passed extended diags successfully.

I've searched bugzilla.redhat.com for 8.0 and hang, but no hits.

Right now, I'm running extended diags for several passes, hoping to catch something
transient.  The machine boots Linux fine... everything appears to be running perfectly
until the hang (i.e., this is not an install problem). I have a similar configuration
running on a 1650 with no problems at all (uptime of 2+ months).

Does this ring any bells with any of you folks?? Anything special about RH8.0 and
a 2550??

My BIOS and ESM have been updated to the latest. My RAID controller is one back
from the latest (but Dell support said it was OK).

--
 Cristopher J. Rhea                     Mayo Foundation
 Research Computing Facility             Pavilion 2-25