Linux kernel 2.4.16 problems

Trent Townsend trent at MPI-SoftTech.Com
Wed Jan 8 15:30:00 CST 2003

I am working for Dr. Anthony Skjellum at MPI Software Technology.  In an
attempt to get GAMMA working on a DELL Poweredge 1650 installed with Red
Hat
7.3, I had to customize the 2.4.16 linux kernel (which is supported by
GAMMA).  Also, GAMMA also notes that the eepro100 drivers are supported.

My kernel has compiled and loaded and runs fine with one huge exception.
Upon initialization of eth0, ifup returns "eepro100 device does not seem
to be present delaying eth0 initialization".  running modprobe tells me
the same thing - that the device is not found.  The boxes are equipped
with e1000 cards I believe.  Is there any way to remedy this and get this
driver to work.  I know that the e100 module could be used as it is in a
different 1650 here in the office.  Any ideas?

Thanks.

Trent Townsend