racadm fwupdate fails

Bruce Pennypacker bpennypacker at askjeeves.com
Wed Jan 8 15:16:01 CST 2003

I have RedHat 7.3 on a bunch of PE 2650's.  The following packages are
installed and running:

dellomsa-drivers-4.70-3613
dellomsa-4.70-3613
racser-devel-1.3-1
racser-1.3-1
ServerAdministrator-1.0-0

I'm trying to update the RAC firmware on these machines since they have
version 1.21 on them.  So I downloaded OM-f_1125v122bm.zip from the Dell
website and unzipped the file.  At first I tried to use racadm to tftp the
firmware from a tftp server but it kept failing.  So I copied the firmware
to a test machine and issued the command:

racadm fwupdate -p -u -d "/usr/src//OM-f_1125v122bm"

It immediately displays the message: Transferring file
"/usr/src//OM-f_1125v122bm/firmimg.bm1" to the RAC, please wait...

After about 2 or 3 minutes however I get the error message "racadm
fwupdate:: transport failed" and nothing else.  Any thoughts as to why this
might be failing?

-Bruce