Request for comment

CBeck@coradiant.com CBeck at coradiant.com
Mon Jan 6 15:21:00 CST 2003

No, it doesn't.
A nice enough set-up but we've tried using Dell's controllers in RAID5 with
MySQL and their performance can be likened to <insert very bad word here>.
You would be much better off going RAID 10.
If you are not sharing the PVs across the machines and if you have a few
weeks to validate and give yourself peace of mind and some spare processing
cycles on the machines you might want to try software RAID 5 - now that
_really_ screams.
--
-Chris Beck - Coradiant, Inc - Research & Development - +1.514.908.6314-
-- http://www.coradiant.com - Leaders in Web Performance Optimization --

We're buying a four way PE6650, partly because of the excellent support
on this mailing list.  I thought it might be prudent to solicit comments
from the list about our proposed configuration:

PowerEdge 6650
4 x 1.5 GHz/1MB cache Xeon
8 GB RAM
PERC3DC w/ 2 internal channels
3 x 146 GB 10K RPM Ultra 320 SCSI Hard Drive
    Set up as RAID 1 w/ one hot spare.
PERC3DC w/ 2 external channels (to connect to a PowerVault 220S)
Red Hat Linux 2.1 Advanced Server

PowerVault 220S
7 x 146 GB 10K RPM Ultra 320 SCSI Hard Drive
    Set up as RAID 5 with one hot spare

It's mainly for MySQL and multi-threaded applications that use MySQL.
Does this make sense?

Thanks,
Rob