Redhat 8.0, Dell and Broadcom modem won't work

Robert Sweet rsweet at garagenetworks.net
Sat Jan 4 12:03:00 CST 2003

On Tue, Dec 24, 2002 at 09:07:31AM -0500, Daniel Raposo beat on the keyboard:
> Hello,
>
> We have just purchased two powerdge servers from Dell with RedHat 8.0 installed and internal broadcom modems.  The modems are not recognized by Redhat 8.0 and no one at Dell has yet been able to help me get it to work.  The most help they have been able to offer thus far is pointing me to this website.  Looking on the web it seems that the drivers for Redhat 7.2 and 7.3 do not work under Redhat 8.0.
> I am not sure why Dell is configuring the servers with Redhat 8.0 and the internal Broadcom modem if it does not work. Can anyone help me get this to work?

Seems the Broadcom modems use a loadable kernel module and
it only works with certain kernels. I could not get it to
recompile for the 2.4.18.18.x and had to use the stock
kernel because of it. I would not recommend buying the
Broadcom modems, go out and get a real modem (hardware).
--
                              _
rsweet at garagenetworks.net
"unix soit qui mal y pense."