-bash: /bin/ls: Input/output error (PE2650 RH8 kernel 2.4.18-18.8.0smp)

bscott@ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Thu Jan 2 21:19:01 CST 2003

On Thu, 2 Jan 2003, at 9:04am, cpbarton at uiuc.edu wrote:
> After running without incident for 10 days or so, my system now enters a
> strange state each day where new processes cannot be created.  Every
> command results in the error message "Input/output error".

  "Input/output error" usually means a fairly low-level problem, like a bad
disk or a device driver that's had a mental breakdown.

  Is there anything in the system log?

  You may want to try adding a line like

	*.*	/dev/tty9

to your /etc/syslog.conf file.  That will cause syslog to dump *everything*
to virtual console #9 ([ALT]+[F9]), which can be useful if the I/O subsystem
is wedged.  You can get more specific (e.g., kern.*) if needed.

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>