1 x 2 Backplane for our Pe2600

jason andrade jason at rtfmconsult.com
Sun Aug 31 23:39:31 CDT 2003

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, Paul wrote:

> I think this was rather normally. I supposed they would be factory formatted

i'm not exactly sure what you mean above.. but i agree with the latter part.

> Perc4di U320 RAID Controller. Dual Channel. Channel0 is in RAID mode and
> Channel1 is in SCSI mode
> As far as I knew and with confirmation from dell both channels cannot be in
> RAID mode. The manual also confirms this.
> This is OK as I just want the second channel in normal SCSI mode, if it wont
> do raid on the second channel thats fine.

hmm, guess i just learned something.  on the perc3/di i was fairly sure
you could have both as raid channels since you could do a 'split backplane'
setup.  interesting to see how that has worked in the the new controller..

> > just run modprobe aic7xxx
>
> # modprobe aic7xxx
> /lib/modules/2.4.19-64GB-SMP/kernel/drivers/scsi/aic7xxx/aic7xxx.o:
> init_module: No such device

ok, maybe it's not an aic7xxx.  i don't have one of these beasts so can
you glean any information from cat /proc/pci to figure out what to actually
modprobe to see the 'scsi' part ?

> The guy from dell is going to call me back soon regarding it but they are
> confused and cant seem to understand how its configured.
> They get even more confused when they find out its running SuSe Enterprise
> Server 8 and not red hat.

heh, fun :-/

it makes it difficult that the server is in production otherwise i'd have
encouraged you to grab a redhat9 ISO and just boot from it and see what
is detected.. can you schedule downtime for doing that ?

regards,

-jason