1 x 2 Backplane for our Pe2600

bscott@ntisys.com bscott at ntisys.com
Sun Aug 31 23:26:01 CDT 2003

On Mon, 1 Sep 2003, at 12:25pm, paul at kbs.net.au wrote:
> At this point the OS booted correctly but it couldn't see the new drives.
> I found the new backplane which was listed in dmesg and on the bootup
> screen but the drives were no where to be found.

  Go into RAID management (either via BIOS, the Linux-based "megamgr"
utility, or OpenManage), and verify that the new physical disks are actually
present in an array (logical disk).

  One possibility is that the new disks are simply not allocated at all.

  Another possibility is that the Dell tech reconstructed the existing LD to
incorporate the new disks, growing the total size of the LD.  In that case,
you will now have unpartitioned space at the end of your existing LD
(identified as "sda" in Linux).

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>