1 x 2 Backplane for our Pe2600

Paul paul at kbs.net.au
Sun Aug 31 22:11:01 CDT 2003

Hi All,

Dell came out to install a 1 x 2 Backplane for our Pe2600 yesterday and 2 x
36gb disks. The drives were installed in the media bay using their media bay
converter. They were then connected to the second channel on the motherboard
and left in standard SCSI mode. The first channel is in RAID mode with a
RAID5 array on it. The dell guy then booted up went to the RAID bios and
formatted the two new disks and then restarted the server. At this point the
OS booted correctly but it couldn't see the new drives. I found the new
backplane which was listed in dmesg and on the bootup screen but the drives
were no where to be found. The OS is SuSe Linux Enterprise Server 8. So now
we have the server running but can't use these two new disks. Is there
anything simple I am missing to make this work?

I assumed once they were formatted that I could simply fdisk /dev/sdb and
away I go. But this is not the case. Below is stuff from dmesg if this helps
work out whats wrong. Do I need some special compile of the MegaRAID driver
now that I'm using each channel in a seperate mode? I wouldn't have thought
so.

Attached scsi generic sg1 at scsi0, channel 4, id 6, lun 0,  type 3
Attached scsi generic sg16 at scsi0, channel 5, id 6, lun 0,  type 3

Attached devices:
Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
  Vendor: MegaRAID Model: LD0 RAID5 86390R Rev: 2.27
  Type:   Direct-Access                    ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 04 Id: 06 Lun: 00
  Vendor: PE/PV    Model: 1x6 SCSI BP      Rev: 0.29
  Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Host: scsi0 Channel: 05 Id: 06 Lun: 00
  Vendor: PE/PV    Model: 1x2 SCSI BP      Rev: 1.1
  Type:   Processor                        ANSI SCSI revision: 02

oracle:/proc/scsi/sg # cat devices
0       0       0       0       0       3       63      0       1
0       4       6       0       3       0       63      0       1
0       5       0       0       0       0       63      0       1
0       5       0       1       0       0       63      0       1
0       5       0       2       0       0       63      0       1
0       5       0       3       0       0       63      0       1
0       5       0       4       0       0       63      0       1
0       5       0       5       0       0       63      0       1
0       5       0       6       0       0       63      0       1
0       5       1       0       0       0       63      0       1
0       5       1       1       0       0       63      0       1
0       5       1       2       0       0       63      0       1
0       5       1       3       0       0       63      0       1
0       5       1       4       0       0       63      0       1
0       5       1       5       0       0       63      0       1
0       5       1       6       0       0       63      0       1
0       5       6       0       3       0       63      0       1

Thanks for your help