BCM5700 Problems

Davis_Phillips@Dell.com Davis_Phillips at Dell.com
Sun Aug 31 07:17:00 CDT 2003

Make sure that you disable auto_negotiate=0 on the same line you are
specifying the line speed otherwise nothing will happen at all.

-----Original Message-----
From: Álvaro Palma [mailto:apalma at custodium.com]
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2003 4:33 PM
To: linux-poweredge at dell.com
Subject: RE: BCM5700 Problems

> Basically my problem is getting the card to be set to full duplex
> where right now it's set at half duplex.
>
> I did edit the /etc/modules.conf file by adding
>
> alias eth0 bcm5700
> options bcm5700 line_speed=100    and so on and it doesn't seem to pick it
> up...
>
> when I tail /var/log/messages, it still reports:  acidrho kernel: tg3:
> eth1:
> Link is up at 100 Mbps, half duplex.
>
> There is no sign of the module you speak of, tg3.o, or the one I am
> trying to install bcm5700.o yet I have network connectivity (very
> peculiar)...
>
> I will forward my concerns to linux-poweredge at dell.com from now on...

I'm not Michael Brown, but I hope it helps :-)

At least in Redhat (I don't know Debian at all) there are two drivers that
manage Broadcom cards: bcm5700 (from the manufacturer) and tg3 (open
source). Dell recommends bcm5700 driver, RedHat tg3, you choose.

And about the 100 Mbps:

1.- Do you have a network device (switch, hub, router, etc.) capable of
stablishing connection at that speed with the machine? Are your cables right
for that speed?

2.- Try mii-tool. I don't remember the exact sintax, but man mii-tool is
clear enough for setting up authomatic speed negotiation, or even forcing
speed (be carefull is the machine is remote, you can lost all comunications
with it!!!)

--
Atte.
Álvaro Palma