1750 Broadcom Driver

jason andrade jason at rtfmconsult.com
Sat Aug 30 17:19:00 CDT 2003

On Fri, 29 Aug 2003, Stacy Redmond wrote:

> I am using the 2.4.20 vanilla kernel, and have upgraded the megaraid
> driver to the 1.18f to support the PERC4 card in my new Dell 1750, the
> problem I am having now is that the machine cannot load the Broadcom net
> driver.  I have seen people say different things about using the most up
> to date tg3 drivers instead, but basically I just want to get the
> machine up and running by compiling a working driver into my kernel.

the kernel should already be shipping with the most up to date tg3
driver - you don't have to go out and get it separately.  the latest
version is 1.5.  you may also want to consider using the 2.4.22 kernel.

if you specifically want to get the BCM driver instead (i'm not exactly
sure why..) then you can ftp it from dell's web site or a mirror

e.g http://planetmirror.com/pub/dell/linux/lan-drivers/broadcom/

the latest current source is: bcom_lan_67_rh_src_A00.tar.gz

there also appears to be binary modules for: RH9 and RH21AS.

> Dell 1750
> RedHat 7.3
> Kernel 2.4.20
> So any and all help would be appreciated.  I did try and patch the
> kernel and rebuild it but the patch caused some errors and the kernel
> will no longer compile if I have the BCM5700 option selected.

regards,

-jason