/etc/init.d/raidmon dies

Wayde Nie niew at mcmaster.ca
Sat Aug 30 12:33:00 CDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-08-30 at 13:00, Alexander Lazarevich wrote:
> PE4600 with PERC3/QC running RH linux 7.3 2.4.20-20.7 kernel. Using
> Megamon-3.8-0 rpm downloaded from Dell website.
>
> The /etc/init.d/raidmon service dies occasionally, which kills the
> /usr/sbin/MegaServ MegaCtrl process. If this process dies a failed
> array will go unreported. That is completely intolerable. What do people
> do with this problem? Cron a job to check to see if raidmon has stopped and
> then restart it? Well, we did, and we note that the service dies about 1.5
> times every 24 hour period. That is terrible. Sometimes we go months
> without physically examining this fileserver, and thus will not hear it
> if it start beeping, so it is imperative that the raidmon works and emails
> out errors.
>
> I did a search on this mail-list and saw no raidmon posts. That seems wrong
> to me. People must be having similar problems? What are the solutions?

I've got the same problem on a PE2600 PERC4/DI running RH7.2 with the
2.4.20-19.7smp kernel and the megaraid-1.18c-3 and Megamon-3.6-0 rpm's
installed.

My web search for info was equally unsuccessful and there doesn't seem
to be any failure indications in the system logs. raidmon/MegaCtrl seems
to go away quietly and doesn't seem to last more than a day or two at
the outside.

Anyone else seen this problem? Anyone know how to correct it?