/etc/init.d/raidmon dies

Alexander Lazarevich alazarev at itg.uiuc.edu
Sat Aug 30 12:01:01 CDT 2003

PE4600 with PERC3/QC running RH linux 7.3 2.4.20-20.7 kernel. Using
Megamon-3.8-0 rpm downloaded from Dell website.

The /etc/init.d/raidmon service dies occasionally, which kills the
/usr/sbin/MegaServ MegaCtrl process. If this process dies a failed
array will go unreported. That is completely intolerable. What do people
do with this problem? Cron a job to check to see if raidmon has stopped and
then restart it? Well, we did, and we note that the service dies about 1.5
times every 24 hour period. That is terrible. Sometimes we go months
without physically examining this fileserver, and thus will not hear it
if it start beeping, so it is imperative that the raidmon works and emails
out errors.

I did a search on this mail-list and saw no raidmon posts. That seems wrong
to me. People must be having similar problems? What are the solutions?

Alex
   Alex Lazarevich | Systems Administrator | Imaging Technology Group
            Beckman Institute - University of Illinois
       alazarev at itg.uiuc.edu | (217)244-1565 | www.itg.uiuc.edu