video card for new DELLprecision system w/ RH9 (no radeon ve?)

Lee, David Y. dlee at SLAC.Stanford.EDU
Fri Aug 29 16:06:00 CDT 2003

Can any Dell folks give us some info about this? (see fwd:)

-----Original Message-----
From: Joe Schwiening [mailto:Jochen.Schwiening at SLAC.Stanford.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, August 28, 2003 5:28 PM
To: Lee, David Y.; Puig, Joseph B.
Subject: video card for new DELL system

Hi guys,

   we plan to buy at least one Workstation 650 as a linux system by next week. When I look at the configuration details on the SLAC/DELL website, I see the remark "The ATI Radeon (tm)VE video cards cannot be selected with Red Hat Linux 9.0.". Do either of you have any idea what's the story there? Since SLAC is forcing us to get RH9 on those systems, are we really forced to order the ATI, FIRE GL(tm) X1 for an extra 350 bucks? We want to get the system with dual-proc 2.4GHz, 1G RAM, an 18in LCD, a couple SCSI disks. RH8 is not an option and RH10 will be way too late for orders this FY. What is your recommendation?

Is there any word of mouth on the internet or at DELL forums that you heard of that would suggest that the ATI Radeon VE video card is bad news?

--
Cheers,
	Joe