Backup/Disk Image Server

LAMBERT Olivier URS TOULOUSE olivier.lambert at francetelecom.com
Fri Aug 29 05:10:01 CDT 2003

Le Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 11:35:05PM +0200, David ROBERT prit son clavier pour nous commenter que :
> "Pottinger, Hardy J." a écrit :
> >
> > Hi, I remember a while back someone mentioned some software
> > that let's you take an image of a filesystem and store that
> > on another server (sort of like Ghost, only GPL'd). The whole
> > thing is set up for bare metal recoveries. I'm not thinking of
> > Mondo or mkCDrec. Perhaps I dreamt it? :-) I've been digging
> > through the list archives for a while, but can't seem to find
> > the link, so, I thought I'd just ask if anyone knows where I might
> > find this software, or if it even exists? Thanks!
>
> Maybe you're talking about partimage :
>
> http://www.partimage.org/

Other ones :

- Parted & QtParted
- SystemImager
- dd and  ssh :p)
- tar and ssh :p)
- G4U (Ghost For You)

It all depends of what you want to do...

Parted & QtParted for whole partitions.
SystemImager for saving few "kind of model config"  & many server-specific variants. Very efficient.
dd, G4U & Co if you want to be content-independent.
tar : who needs to present it :p) ?

Olivier (ceituna) LAMBERT