Accessing DLT Drive under Redhat 'Rescue' mode?

LAMBERT Olivier URS TOULOUSE olivier.lambert at francetelecom.com
Fri Aug 29 01:08:00 CDT 2003

Le Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 05:39:13PM -0400, Joe Galewsky prit son clavier pour nous commenter que :
> I tried using: mknod /dev/st0 c 9 0
> to set up the connection to our dlt tape drive but I get 'no such
> device' when I try to access the tape drive.

Have you also loaded the right module ?

AFAIK, it should be aic7xxx module to handle the SCSI controller (or
aacraid if you have a Raid controller...

What gives you a "cat /proc/scsi/scsi" ?
What do you have in your /proc/scsi dir ?

Olivier (ceituna) LAMBERT

--

Following, a copy of the mail in sent private rather than in list :

--

Le Thu, Aug 28, 2003 at 01:19:34PM -0400, Joe Galewsky prit son clavier
pour nous commenter que :
> Hi-
>
> We're running a Dell PowerEdge 2500 that has a DLT tape drive.  Due to
> some nasty RAID problems, we can only get into the system using
> RedHat's
> 'rescue' option from the cdrom.  Fortunately, all of our data is
> intact.
>  We want to dump all user data onto our DLT drive, just to make sure
>  we
> have a good backup before dealing with the RAID problem.

Some users should be happy to have such conservative SysAdmins as very
few
are the ones that think about their users... :)

> The problem is that we can't access the tape drive.  I can see it
> listed
> under /proc/scsi/scsi with SCSI ID 6, but /dev/st0 is not listed under
> /dev.
>
> How can I access the DLT tape drive under RedHat's 'rescue' mode?

As the name says, it is a _rescue_ disk...

what is listed by /dev after having chrooted to /mnt/sysimage ?

If you don't have the device listed, You might have to create it with
you own hands... :=/

Try it by using mknod command, after having searched for the minor and
major number of your device...

After that, an insmod (or even better modprobe) might help you using the
right module for your DLT...

Cannot give the right options, as I haven't done it for a while, but it
_used_ to work in the old days... :p)

Olivier L

--
ceituna_AT_ardilla.asso.fr