BCM5700 Problems

Álvaro Palma apalma at custodium.com
Thu Aug 28 16:59:01 CDT 2003

> Basically my problem is getting the card to be set to full duplex where
> right now it's set at half duplex.
>
> I did edit the /etc/modules.conf file by adding
>
> alias eth0 bcm5700
> options bcm5700 line_speed=100    and so on and it doesn't seem to pick it
> up...
>
> when I tail /var/log/messages, it still reports:  acidrho kernel: tg3:
> eth1:
> Link is up at 100 Mbps, half duplex.
>
> There is no sign of the module you speak of, tg3.o, or the one I am trying
> to install bcm5700.o yet I have network connectivity (very peculiar)...
>
> I will forward my concerns to linux-poweredge at dell.com from now on...

I'm not Michael Brown, but I hope it helps :-)

At least in Redhat (I don't know Debian at all) there are two drivers that
manage Broadcom cards: bcm5700 (from the manufacturer) and tg3 (open source).
Dell recommends bcm5700 driver, RedHat tg3, you choose.

And about the 100 Mbps:

1.- Do you have a network device (switch, hub, router, etc.) capable of
stablishing connection at that speed with the machine? Are your cables right for
that speed?

2.- Try mii-tool. I don't remember the exact sintax, but man mii-tool is clear
enough for setting up authomatic speed negotiation, or even forcing speed (be
carefull is the machine is remote, you can lost all comunications with it!!!)

--
Atte.
Álvaro Palma