PowerVault 110T LTO-2 with RedHat Linux AS 2.1 and tar issue

Pablo Barroso Cubillas pablo.barroso at ico.es
Thu Aug 28 02:29:00 CDT 2003

OK:

First of all; no problem at all for your email.

Second: Although I'm using a PowerVault DAT and you a PowerVault LTO,
the problem seems to be within the SCSI card  and not with the tape
driver itself, and I guess we are using the same SCSI card (Adaptec
Ultra 160)

For me, it works this way:

st.o is the DAT tape driver.
aic7xxx.o is the SCSI card driver.

What we are trying is to replace the actual SCSI driver from Dell with a
newer one.
What I recomend is to make this test:

Get
http://people.freebsd.org/~gibbs/linux/RPM/aic7xxx/aic7xxx-6.2.36-rhas21.i686.rpm

Find the 'unrpm' utility from the internet and use it to uncompress the
rpm file:
# unrpm  -x   -d  ./existing_test_directory
aic7xxx-6.2.36-rhas21.i686.rpm )

Search under ./existing_test_directory for the file corresponding to
your kernel version ( i.e.: 2.4.9-e.3 or 2.4.9-e.3smp or 2.4.9-e.16 or
whatever). Take care of using the same module version as the kernel you
are using (# uname -r).

Replace the file aic7xxx.o (backup the file first) which lives under
/lib/modules/2.4...../kernel/drivers/scsi with the one you extracted
from the rpm.

Reboot and try again.

Using a Dell 2600, I'd really recomend you to upgrade kernel version
from 2.4.9-e.3 to 2.4.9-e.16 at least.
How? Ask Oracle; they support your o.s. :-))))

--
Pablo Barroso Cubillas

Mr Gandhi, what do you think of Western Civilization?
- "I think it would be a good idea."