PowerVault 110T LTO-2 with RedHat Linux AS 2.1 and tar issue

Ghotra, Barry bghotra at agensys.com
Wed Aug 27 23:16:00 CDT 2003

Hello all,

Hope you guys don't mind me asking you this question directly using email. I
saw a bunch of replies from you all regarding this issue with a DLT TAPE
drive. I have RedHat Linux AS 2.1 version on a PowerEdge 2600. I received my
PowerVault 110T LTO-2 today and I plugged it in using the Adaptec SCSI 39160
card. I cat tar up a few small files (less than 50-100MB) but the minute it
tries to backup a file over a few hundred Mbytes I get this error:

[root at oadbsd crp1data]# tar -cvf /dev/nst *
abmd01.dbf
ahld01.dbf
ahmd01.dbf
akd01.dbf
tar: /dev/nst: Wrote only 4096 of 10240 bytes

I got the last impression reading the reply  that I should download the
latest driver from

http://people.freebsd.org/~gibbs/linux/RPM/aic7xxx/
<http://people.freebsd.org/~gibbs/linux/RPM/aic7xxx/>
" Using it and everything's fine. ( I unrpm'ed the file and renamed &
replaced aic7xxx.o instead of installing with rpm -i and all the stuff...) "

But can someone please tell me this should fix my issue as well. And if so
which driver do I download for the PE2600 running Linux RedHat AS 2.1 and
What are the instructions to install it.

Really appreciate you guys answering it for me.

Thanks.

Barry Ghotra
Oracle Consultant
(310) 820-8029 Ext 268 Office