2650 Disk problems [Was: RAID 5 Errors, Disk Problems : What to do?]

jason andrade jason at rtfmconsult.com
Wed Aug 27 17:32:01 CDT 2003

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:

> I have three big 146GB disks in a soft-raid RAID5 array. One disk has
> been kicked out due to a "Hardware Error...mechanical positioning
> error". I can readd the disk after a reboot. But it falls out again
> after a few weeks.
>
> Dell Support won't replace the disk as it does not fail the SCSI verify
> tool scan that you can choose to go into on boot.
>
> Any other stuff I can run by Dell Support?

are you in level1 or level2 support ? at this point i would escalate
it if you are still in level1.

the reality is that you have a flakey disk and dell need to and *will*
replace it.  this is also something you should talk to your account
manager about to avoid wasting your time.

o talk to dell support.  explain the disk has failed and it will work
  for a short time under testing but fails over a period of time.

  explain that this behaviour has happened X times and is not a 'one off'

o if the person won't authorize a drive swap ask to be escalated to
  an engineer who can diagnose the problem with Linux, i.e level2
  where you rarely waste any time.

o if you can't be escalated then you need to speak with your account
  manager (you might not have one specifically but there will be a
  person (or persons) tasked with sales into your area.. and if they
  want you to buy more dell kit in future they understand that these
  sorts of experiences are not helpful to making purchasing decisions :-)

regards,

-jason