Upgrading from 7.2 to 9.0

jason andrade jason at rtfmconsult.com
Wed Aug 27 17:25:00 CDT 2003

On Wed, 27 Aug 2003, Henry wrote:

> Is it possible to upgrade this 2550 from 7.2 to 9.0 without having physical access to the box?  If so, how would you suggest I go about doing the upgrade?

if you can get serial access you may be able to do something but i am not
sure there is any way to do an 'upgrade' without being able to have some
form of access to the 'console'.  glen turner (who reads this list) may
be able to comment as he did a chunk of work on the serial console stuff
and documenting it.. and how you might be able to create a kernel/boot
from it to upgrade.

you may have to create a boot cdrom and get it shipped over though.

> Part of me says "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"... but then again, there have been tons of RH updates and errata I have not applied to this box.  (it is inside a firewall, so outside attacks aren't a big concern - it's more a performance concern).

well, it's a tough call. but one thing to consider is that RHL 7.3 support
ends in December 2003 (4 months away) for patches/errata.  RHL 9 support
ends ~6 months down the track so you'll still have patches available..

another alternative for you is to build a RH9 box on new disks and just
ship the disks and get someone locally to swap drives for you.  since all
the raid information (assuming you're using hardware raid) is on the disk..
this might be a painless way to upgrade/test.. and you have a good recovery
position on that server if the RH9 install has problems.

we are looking at migrating all of our 7.X stuff to RH9 (short term) with
a view towards moving to RHEL 3 when it comes out (the second beta release
is probably going to become available at some point in the near future
which would be a good thing for people to download/test with)

regards,

-jason