Upgrading from 7.2 to 9.0

Henry henry at ix.netcom.com
Wed Aug 27 11:58:01 CDT 2003

Hello All,

  I have a Dell PE 2550 currently running RH 7.2 *very well*.  I've just installed another PE 2650 running RH 9.0, and I like it a bit better.   The problem is the 2550 is 3000 miles from me, and I access it mainly via SSH and VNC to a KDE desktop.

Is it possible to upgrade this 2550 from 7.2 to 9.0 without having physical access to the box?  If so, how would you suggest I go about doing the upgrade?

Part of me says "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"... but then again, there have been tons of RH updates and errata I have not applied to this box.  (it is inside a firewall, so outside attacks aren't a big concern - it's more a performance concern).

Thanks,

-Hank