raid init is too slow...

jason andrade jason at rtfmconsult.com
Tue Aug 26 17:36:01 CDT 2003

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Johnathan Conley wrote:

> I know this is not specific to linux - but since I can't find a general
> poweredge list - I figure I'll post here.

that's fine but perhaps not posting in HTML would be nice for a start?

> I have the Perc3/Di on 2650's - and creating a raid 1/5 takes an
> eternity. I know I am justified in my opinion b/c certain (unnamed)
> competitors built-in raid controllers are significantly faster. I have
> tried both clean/scrub and am in the ballpark of 150gb.

shrug.. i'm not a guru in this but i'd be curious as to the actual
reasons they are 'faster'.  one way of being 'fast' on init is to
not actually do a complete init.. or not tell the interface that
you are doing a background init.. on the other hand it could just
be the way the adaptec controllers (perc2/si, perc3/si/di) do their
writing out of ones (and reading them back to test) onto the drive other
later controllers (LSI) don't..

> I don't have any of Dell's newer systems /w the Perc4/Di - but if any
> Dell personnel can forward this on - it would be a big help. It's really
> annoying to try to rebuild a server /w new raid and it take 4+ hours to
> just init the disks.

i have never cared about this and never had a problem in 3+ years of using
the perc2/3 si/di interfaces to create the container, start the init/scrub
and start using it straight away.  unless you are doing something particularly
I/O intensive (and i haven't been.. usually installing the OS or software/data
sets..) within that first 4 hours it didn't seem to raise any issues.

regards,

-jason