PERC3/QC initialization?

jason andrade jason at rtfmconsult.com
Tue Aug 26 16:46:00 CDT 2003

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003, Alexander Lazarevich wrote:

> I ask because the array worked for 9+ hours while we were copying data to
> it. When the copy was done, we booted to single user mode to rsync, and
> the array failed - two drives went bad. The drives are fine, but the
> entire array was lost. We didn't lose data because we still have the
> original array. But we need to determine if the tower of drives are okay,
> which we are almost certain they are. They've been running fine on AIX
> 4.3.3 system for 2+ years.
>
> Can the array init complete in single user mode? PERC3/QC manual doesn't
> say jack about it.

that is strange.  it is definitely recommended to let the array complete
initialization before using it but it _should_ be possible to use it
while it is initializing.. i've done that with a perc3/qc (connected
to a PV220S).  of course it is also faster to let the array complete
first and then use it for data copying..

when you say the array failed as two drives 'went bad' what sort of
symptoms did you see ? e.g errors on the scsi bus ? any errors from
the controller itself ?

regards,

-jason