PERC3/QC initialization?

Alexander Lazarevich alazarev at itg.uiuc.edu
Tue Aug 26 16:28:43 CDT 2003

We've got a PE 4600 with a PERC3/QC controller. Must you wait for the
initialization to complete of an array on that controller BEFORE you
start moving data onto the array in single user mode (RH linux 7.3 -
2.4.20-20.7 kernel)?

I ask because the array worked for 9+ hours while we were copying data to
it. When the copy was done, we booted to single user mode to rsync, and
the array failed - two drives went bad. The drives are fine, but the
entire array was lost. We didn't lose data because we still have the
original array. But we need to determine if the tower of drives are okay,
which we are almost certain they are. They've been running fine on AIX
4.3.3 system for 2+ years.

Can the array init complete in single user mode? PERC3/QC manual doesn't
say jack about it.

Thanks in advance,

Alex
   Alex Lazarevich | Systems Administrator | Imaging Technology Group
            Beckman Institute - University of Illinois
       alazarev at itg.uiuc.edu | (217)244-1565 | www.itg.uiuc.edu