max_scsi_luns not working anymore ?

jason andrade jason at rtfmconsult.com
Tue Aug 26 16:06:01 CDT 2003

On Tue, 26 Aug 2003 Matt_Domsch at dell.com wrote:

> You need to add the IDE-SCSI device into the SCSI whitelist in
> linux/drivers/scsi/scsi_scan.c.  There's work going on in 2.6 to move
> this list to userspace (where it belongs) rather than in the kernel.

this sounds like i need to recompile the kernel.. which is what i am
doing anyway (and i don't need to add it to the whitelist if i just
use the probe-all-scsi-luns option..).  this is what is confusing me..

it seems that all the existing documentation needs an addendum that
the current 'prescribed' solution will not actually work for all
devices :-/

> See the entries for megaraid and percraid as a template.

nod.

> > echo "scsi add-single-device 2 0 0 1" > /proc/scsi/scsi
> > echo "scsi add-single-device 3 0 0 1" > /proc/scsi/scsi
>
> which is effectively what moving the list to userspace will do for you
> anyhow.

thanks for the tip.  i'll investigate but i don't think i'll need
to play with the whitelist if a simple recompile is working..

-jason