Broadcom Gigabit and 2.4.21

Eric Rostetter eric.rostetter at physics.utexas.edu
Tue Aug 26 12:49:00 CDT 2003

Quoting linux-poweredge-request at dell.com:

> > I am about to place a new kernel on a PE2550 which has a Broadcom Gigabit
> > Ethernet adapter and an Intel Pro100.
> > It's currently using 2.4.7 and bcm7500 (module) for its drivers. I want to
> > put 2.4.21 on this server and I recall numerous problems with the tigon3
> > drivers causing massive lockups in the kernel. Is 2.4.21 stable with the
> > Broadcom Gigabit cards now?

I've found the stock kernel at or above 2.4.19 with tg3 to be stable,
and I've found the RH kernel 2.4.20-19 to be very stable with tg3.

Unlike the others I am running 2.4.20-19 at high load, though only for
26 days so far, without problem.  It's a mail server and it survived the
recent Sobig.F et al plus the return of students for fall semester...

I had stability problems unrelated to tg3 in previous versions of the RedHat
kernel (e.g. when doing NFS exports on ext3 filesystems on top of LVM, the
system would crash under very high nfs/network load).  I've had no problems
with anything using the new 2.4.20-19 kernel in production on a very busy
mail server for about 26 days now.

Well done to RH on the latest 2.4.20-* kernel line. ;)

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Why get even? Get odd!