SMP Kernel problem on PE1750.

Matthew_Wygant@Dell.com Matthew_Wygant at Dell.com
Tue Aug 26 06:25:00 CDT 2003

You can verify this by doing a 'cat /proc/cpuinfo'

Look in the flags area for each proc and you should see a 'ht' flag if it is
hyperthreaded.  If you have OMSA laoded, you can look in your BIOS setting
to see if the Logical Processor is enabled from within the OS.

-mattw

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Watts [mailto:m.watts at eris.qinetiq.com]
Sent: Tuesday, August 26, 2003 4:45 AM
To: Simon Ashford; 'linux-poweredge at dell.com'
Subject: Re: SMP Kernel problem on PE1750.

You are running a pair of Intel Xeon processors, both of which support
HyperThreading.

This uses unused resources on the chip to make it appear as two, so the
reporting of 4 processors is correct.

Note: you won't necessarially get the same performance as a true quad
processor box, but you should get some benefit out of it.

Mark.

> I am running RedHat Enterprise Server 2.1 (kernel 2.4.9-e24) on a dual
> processor 1750 server.  But somehow it claims to find _four_
> processors in the machine.
>
> Seems to work anyway, but I don't trust it...
>
> Can anyone suggest what is going on and how to fix it?
>

> Thanks.
>
> Simon Ashford
>

> --
> Simon J. Ashford,                 Email: simon.ashford at npl.co.uk
> IT Support Unit                   Tel: +44 (0)20 8943 7032
> National Physical Laboratory,     Fax: +44 (0)20 8943 7093
> Teddington, Middlesex, UK.        WWW: http://www.npl.co.uk/

> This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential and/or
> privileged material; it is for the intended addressee(s) only. If you
> are not a named addressee, you must not use, retain or disclose such
> information.
>
> NPL Management Ltd cannot guarantee that the e-mail or any attachments
> are free from viruses.
>
> NPL Management Ltd. Registered in England and Wales. No: 2937881
> Registered Office: Teddington, Middlesex, United Kingdom TW11 0LW.

- --
Mark Watts
Senior Systems Engineer
QinetiQ TIM