mrtg files for PE 2650?

Timothee Besset ttimo at idsoftware.com
Sat Aug 23 16:08:00 CDT 2003

Well Andrew Mann replied to me off-list with some useful info, so I'll
re-post. From his info I found out how to get symbolic names in the
snmpwalk output, fix some other broken stuff I had and I used an mrtg file
found on Matt Domsch's page:

http://www.domsch.com/linux/openmanage-contrib/dell1550.cfg

Still, this is very minimal and I'd love to see a configuration to graph a
lot more stuff :-)

TTimo

>     Somewhere in the omsa packages you'll find a file (or files) with
> the extension .mib .   These files tell any SNMP client or server how to
> translate from the numeric OID into a somewhat human readable one.  If
> you're getting purely numeric responses you just need to find the .mib
> file in the package and copy it into the system mib directory (redhat
> uses /usr/share/snmp/mibs , and it looks like debian does as well).  You
> may need/want to alter the name a bit to fit the system mib naming
> convention (the omsa name is something.mib, while the system mibs are
> usually named something-MIB.txt).  After that, just add -m all  to any
> standard snmp command.
>     To get a full list of what any snmp service currently provides I
> usually use:
> snmpwalk -m all -c (community) -v 1 (host/ip) .1 >
> snmpwalk.(host)-(date).txt
>
>     From there you can pick out which human readable entries you want:
> MIB-Dell-10892::powerSupplyStatus.1.1 = INTEGER: ok(3)
> MIB-Dell-10892::powerSupplyStatus.1.2 = INTEGER: critical(5)
>
>     Then to get numeric values I just add -O n to the command line and
> specify the human readable name above:
> snmpget -m all -c (community) -O n -v 1 (host/ip)
> MIB-Dell-10892::powerSupplyStatus.1.2
>     Which results in:
> .1.3.6.1.4.1.674.10892.1.600.12.1.5.1.2 = INTEGER: critical(5)
>
>     I'm sure there's a tool somewhere that does the translations without
> actually polling, but this method has always been the lazier method in
> my experience.
>
>     Also, OMSA is pretty heavy package, running its own web server and a
> few other bloated daemons.  There are references in the archives of this
> list describing how to water this down to get snmp polling of sensors
> with just 3 small packages out of omsa.
>
> Andrew